Black with Red Accents

I bought this dress in a recent raid of the Target online clearance section. I wasn't necessarily expecting much from a 7$ dress, except being comfy and work-appropriate, but this turns out to be one of the most flatteringly-cut dress I own.  The kimono sleeve is surprisingly flattering and the waist actually hits at just the right place for an empire-style.  That's not something that happens very often when you are tall and somewhat busty.  Also, just FYI, a huge amount of Target's plus-sized women's clothes are sold online only (which makes so much sense right, I mean, the average women's size in America is 16, so you clearly can't afford to keep them in stock in all your stores when they are a niche market...of  half of all women..shut up, that's why), so if you never find anything interesting in the stores, check online.  I decided to add red accessories and makeup for Red and Black week (and because I like the look of red accents with a black outfit.

You'll have to excuse the somewhat bedraggled expression.  I thought I was running late because I somehow didn't pay attention to the hour on my clock and rushed to get ready only to show up an hour early for work (which is not good if you are an hourly rather than salaried employee).  I'm still not 100% sure what happened there.  Anyway...





My earrings and necklace are both from the Art of Adornment Sanguine collection, a great source for all your red and black needs.  The bead in the earrings looks dark here, but when it catches the light it is a deep, pure red

For my eye makeup I used Geek Chic's Blood Bond, a semi-matte brick red, in the crease and Shiro Cosmetics' Ganondorf, an iridescent, almost black red along the line and under the lid, with my trusty black creme eyeliner from Sephora, of course.

Category: 8 comments

8 comments:

Trystan L. Bass said...

Great dress! I think I have one like it -- bec. I too scour the Target website for those elusive plus sizes you can never find in the stores. I guess I would be annoyed more, 'cept I kind of hate going into a Target these days & prefer shopping at work online during my lunchbreak.

Also a big fan of Art of Adornment. Her work is so lovely & she's a great person!

Lesthi said...

Wow, so pretty necklace <3
and i love the lipstick color. ^^

V. Glemsel said...

Your blog is lovely.In my blog you've got the prize "Your blog inspires me".

Bye

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Score!! And omg, those earrings... Last time someone mentioned Art of Adornment on a blog (I think it was you) I went straight over there and bought something. Uh oh... ;)

Pixel Pixie said...

You look fantastic! I always feel victorious when I get super cool stuff for cheap.

I have a similar necklace, but in purple. Etsy!

siouxsiel said...

I have a similar dress and I love it. Looks great on you.
Great necklace. I'm going to check out that site!

Caity said...

Love the dress, love the accessories. The necklace is super pretty.

Varina said...

Trystan - Yeah, I generally shop online anyway as well. I am constantly annoyed by how clothes retailers treat plus sizes as a niche market mostly when that means thoughtless designs and only putting the more boring "safe", "classic" styles in plus sizes. I guess the online vs. in-store just tends to be a really obvious symptom of the general attitude.

Vanitas - Thanks so much! I am honored.

VictorianKitty - I refuse to be held liable for any shopping that may happen as a result of this blog ;)

Pixel Pixie - Ha! Yes I think "victorious" is a really good way to describe the feeling!

Siouxsie - Thanks! See above, and happy shopping

Caitlin - Thank you! Although the necklace was a gift from my sister so I can't take all the credit.

Post a Comment